Spicy onion Chutni
Serves : 4
Cooking time (approx.): 20 minutes
Shallots / Cheriya ulli – 15
Red Chillies – 9
Ginger – A small piece
Curry leaves – Few leafs
Tamarind water(Vaalan puli)- a gooseberry(nellikka) size socked in hot water
Salt – to taste
Coconut oil – as needed
Jaggery / Sarkkara- 1 piece( optional to make chamanthi sweet)
Method of Preparation:
Saute the red chillies and Small onion/Shallots in heated oil for 3-4 minutes.
Grind all the ingriedients except coconut oil to make coarse paste.
Add some cocounut oil to paste
Serves : 3
Cooking time (approx.): 35 minutes
Hard boiled eggs- 3 nos
Onion sliced finely- 1 big
Ginger chopped- 1 table spoon
Garlic chopped- 1 table spoon
Kashmiri Chili powder- 1-11/2 tsp
Coriander powder- 1 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Meat masala/Egg masala- 2tsp ( or use 1/2 tsp garam masala and 1/2 tsp Pepper powder)
Tomato chopped finely- 1 small
Coconut Milk – 1 cup
Curry leaves- Few
Salt to taste
- Remove the shells of the hard boiled eggs and cut each egg into half if desired
- Heat oil in a pan ,add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add curry leaves,ginger and garlic and sliced onion ,saute till onion turns golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and salt to taste.
- Add chili powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder and meat masala and saute till tomato is completely cooked.
- Add Coconut Milk.
- Add the sliced egg ,and cover the egg pieces with the gravy carefully.
- Cover and cook for a minutes on low flame.
- Add Chopped coriander and serve.
This curry goes well with appam, idiappam or chapathi.