Cooking time ( Approx: 25 minutes)
Chicken – 1kg
Potatoes – 3 nos
Carrot – 1no(chopped)
Green peas – 50g(boiled)
Oil – 1/4 of a cup
Onion – 1 cup
Ginger – 1 table spoon (sliced)
Garlic – 1 tablespoon(sliced)
Green chillies – 8-10 nos (slitted)
Cinnamon (Karugapatta) – 2″ piece
Cloves – 6 nos
Cardamom – 4 pods
Peppercorns – 11/2 tablespoon
Curry leaves – a few
Vinegar – 2 tablespoon or Lemon juice/ – 2 tablespoon with sliced peel give a lemon flavor
Salt – to taste
Coconut milk (Thin) – 2 cups
Coconut milk (Thick) – 1 cup
Method of Preparation :
1) Cut the chicken into pieces. Wash and clean the pieces.
2) Peel and cut the potatoes into wedges.
3) Heat oil in pan and gently fry the ingredients onion, ginger, garlic, green chillies, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, peppercorns and curry leaves until soft and golden.
4) Add the chicken pieces and fry gently.
5) Add vinegar, salt and thin coconut milk.
6) When the meat is half cooked, add the potato wedges, green peas, and carrot.
7) Cover the pan with a well-fitting lid and cook until the meat is tender.
8) When the gravy has reduced in quantity, add 1 cup of thick coconut milk and bring to boil.
Serve the Kerala Style Chicken Stew hot with chappathi, bread or palappam